Help your children make these wonderful apple bookmarks and you will have some useful and lovely handmade gifts to give to teachers, relatives or friends. Bright and sparkly, these felt and fabric apples will bring smiles all around and your children will have had a great crafty afternoon on a rainy day. Have fun!
1. Cut out a big apple shape out of paper and measure a piece of medium interfacing enough for two big apple shapes. Iron the interfacing on the felt of your chosen colour.
2. Use the apple shape to draw two apples on the interfacing side of your felt and cut them out.
3. Measure and cut a piece of elastic. Put the cut out apple on a book, measure the elastic from the middle of the top of the apple to the middle of the bottom, holding the elastic firmly, but do not tighten it.
4. Measure a piece of medium interfacing for a small apple shape and iron it on some pretty patterned fabric. Cut out a small apple shape.
5. Cut out a leaf from green felt.
6. Now you have two
The first one (option A) where you put four sequins for pips on a piece of fabric, or the second one (option B) when you have patterned fabric with two sequin pips inside two pieces of felt.
6.A. Sew four sequins onto the piece of patterned fabric. Sew elastic on the interfacing side of one felt apple shape taking it in about 1 cm from the top centre of the apple to the bottom centre. Make sure your elastic is not twisted. Secure the green leaf to the top of the apple shape where you secured the elastic, so that the leaf is poking out of the apple. Put the patterned fabric on the felt shape with the elastic and stitch around the patterned fabric with a running stitch. Put the two felt apple shapes together with the interfacing inside. Stitch around the apple with a running or blanket stitch.
6.B. Cut out a small half apple shape and put it on the interfacing side of one of the big apple felt shapes with the straight side in the center. Draw around it. Cut it out with some small sharp scissors. Take your patterned fabric shape and put it underneath the big apple shape with the cut out half. Mark the side which is poking out and sew two sequins onto this side. Sew elastic on the interfacing side of the patterned fabric taking it in about 0.5 cm from the top centre of the apple to the bottom centre. Make sure your elastic is not twisted.
Secure the green leaf to the top of the apple shape where you have secured the elastic, so that the leaf is poking out of the apple. Put the patterned fabric underneath the felt shape, so you can see the sequins in the cut out half. Stitch around this cut out shape with a running stitch. Put two felt apple shapes together with the interfacing inside. Stitch around the apple with a running or blanket stitch.
I hope you enjoy making these lovely bookmarks and I’m sure they will be the best gift!
If your children are too small to sew, they can still help you make this gift really special by designing a pretty label on the card.